Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Off-campus student housing catches fire

by Paige Beauman
Tue, Dec 6th 2016 09:00 pm

 On Sunday, Dec. 4, around 8 p.m., a house holding four students on Erie Street caught fire. 

Several ambulances, police cars and fire engines surged the area with around 80 authorities taking charge of the place. The surrounding streets were blocked off with patrol officers directing cars in opposite directions. 

The house, neighbouring the Tower Fine Arts, was home to The College at Brockport students. 

A student whose bedroom was situated at the front of the house left an unsupervised candle next to the curtains which caught alight. 

As the flames spread quickly, the students were unable to stop the fire and had to call the authorities. 

No students were seriously injured in the fire but one was taken into an ambulance from complications due to the fumes caused by the fire. 

One of the many firefighters who tackled the monster fire, which overtook both the upstairs windows, was also a student who lived in the house.  

The bedroom which the fire started in was left covered in ash. The fire was uder good control by the fire fighters with two hoses used to put the fire out around 8:45 p.m. 




Photo of the Week

Taken by Vincent Croce:
Staff Photographer

Author List