Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Conor McGregor facing sexual assault allegations

by Carson Werner - Sports Editor
Wed, Apr 3rd 2019 03:00 pm
uneasy retirement Former UFC fighter, Conor McGregor (above), announced his retirement from the UFC via Twitter on Tuesday, March 26. Despite the news, the headlines are being dominated by the sexual assault allegations that have been reported against him. An investigation is in process in Ireland as the sexual assault allegations have yet to be confirmed.
uneasy retirement Former UFC fighter, Conor McGregor (above), announced his retirement from the UFC via Twitter on Tuesday, March 26. Despite the news, the headlines are being dominated by the sexual assault allegations that have been reported against him. An investigation is in process in Ireland as the sexual assault allegations have yet to be confirmed.

In the midst of being accused of sexual assault, former MMA champion Conor McGregor announced his retirement on Tuesday, March 26. The 30-year-old had been competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) since 2013, went 21—4 and earned the Featherweight Championship within a four year span. 

After two years of stagnancy, McGregor’s most recent and last MMA fight was a loss to Lightweight Champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov in October of 2018. 

His retirement came unexpectedly, shocking the UFC and his global fan base. However, McGregor has been busy outside of his MMA career. In September of 2018, Eire Born Spirits released McGregor’s personally owned Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey in the United States and Ireland. 

The combination of McGregor being one of the most iconic athletes in the world and Ireland’s love for whiskey caused Proper No. Twelve to sell out in 10 days. 

McGregor’s company has become his main focus as of late and his passion for becoming an entrepreneur works as his motivation. In an article by prnewswire.com, McGregor said, “My dream to be an entrepreneur is now realized and I could not be more proud. When I see Proper No. Twelve showing up all across social media as a part of family, friends and fans celebrations, I know I delivered.”

Similar to his career in the octagon, McGregor’s company took off following its launch. Proper No. Twelve has become the most followed spirit brand in the world on Instagram, accumulating over 592,000 followers in six months. 

Produced at the oldest distillery on the Isle of Ireland, McGregor and his master distiller created a whiskey that features a smooth taste of honey-like sweetness, hints of vanilla and toasted wood. Proper No. Twelve stands behind the motto of “One for All,” and promises to donate five dollars for each case sold to local first responder organizations around the world. 

However, despite the success in Proper No. Twelve, McGregor’s status as an entrepreneur may be in danger. McGregor is being investigated for sexual assault over an incident that occurred in Ireland back in December.

 In January, he was taken into custody, questioned and released pending further investigation according to The New York Times. His unexpected retirement has also led people to believe that it was in relation to the allegations, but a spokeswoman for McGregor, Karen J. Kessler, says the two incidents are completely unrelated. 

“This story has been circulating for some time, and it is unclear why it is being reported now,” Kessler said. “The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely false.” 

Looking back on his career, this accusation is another to add to the long list of controversies McGregor has been involved in. The former champion plead guilty to disorderly conduct after breaking a bus window and injuring two fighters. 

He was fined and suspended for the brawl that occurred after the Nurmagomedov match. Earlier this month, McGregor was arrested in Miami Beach for stealing a cellphone after someone tried to take his picture. The sexual assault allegations have seemingly not hurt his career any more than the rest of them did. 

Throughout his six years in the UFC, McGregor has made millions of dollars over 25 fights, not including his most prized match. In 2017, McGregor stepped out of the octagon and into the boxing ring to face Floyd Mayweather. It’s estimated that McGregor made $100 million from that fight alone. 

With his wife of 11 years and his one-year-old son, he has created a more suitable life for raising a family, instead of abusing his body for money. If McGregor is not found guilty of the sexual assault allegations, he can settle down and remove himself from the spotlight. However, the 30-year-old making a return to the octagon is not out of the picture.

 

Photo of the Week

Shot by Staff Photographer
Mathieu Starke

Author List