Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Be the Match Bone Marrow Registry

by Sarah Morris - Copy Editor
Sun, Nov 5th 2017 12:40 pm

Bone marrow is harder and more painful to donate than blood, but is still needed. Only two percent of America’s population is on the national registry for bone marrow donations. Sadly, only 30 percent of patients who are in need of a transplant are matched with a family member, leaving 70 percent of those patients to rely on a complete stranger’s generous donation to save their life.

To find a match, doctors looks for donors with the same tissue type as the patient in need of bone marrow. Finding a match for bone marrow is rarer than finding a blood match. About one in 430 U.S. Be the Match Registry members actually donate bone marrow.

The process of donating bone marrow is long, but worthwhile if you’re saving someone’s life. It requires general, spinal or epidural anesthesia to block the pain during the procedure. The doctors take hollow needles to withdraw the bone marrow from the back of the pelvic bone. Rarely do donors spend the night in the hospital and they usually can leave the same day.

So stop by at the Be the Match Bone Marrow Registry this Friday, Nov. 3 at 10:00 a.m., where students can register to find out if they’re a match to donate bone marrow. The event will include tabling held in the Union.

Photo of the Week

Taken by Vincent Croce:
Staff Photographer

Author List